Criminal Justice Act (CJA)
The Criminal Justice Act (CJA) (United States Code: Title 18, § 3006A) provides federal funds for attorneys, experts, and services necessary for the adequate representation of indigent defendants. In the Northern District, the CJA Unit of the Clerk's Office administers the CJA.
In addition to overseeing payment to counsel and experts, the CJA Unit serves as a resource for panel members in their representation of indigent clients.
Effective December 1, 2013, Northern District of California CJA attorneys and their approved associates must use eVoucher to enter time and submit vouchers for all pending cases.
CJA POLICY DOCUMENTS AT A GLANCE:
- General Order 2—CJA Plan
- General Order 50—CJA Procedures
- MOU re: Assessment of Indigence (April 2014)
NOTE TO VISITORS:
The CJA Unit is currently doing some website housekeeping. If you have trouble finding what you are looking for, please contact us.
General CJA Topics
- Becoming a Panel Member
- CJA Compensation Rates
- Education, Training, and Resources
- eVoucher Electronic Voucher System
- Fact Witnesses—Subpoenas and Expenses
- Vouchers & Instructions
- Funding Requests (Expert & Other Services)
- Information for Experts & Other Service Providers
- Information for New Panel Members
Authorization to Exceed the Case