Pro Hac Vice Appearance
(United States Bankruptcy Court)
The Clerk's Office for the District Court processes all pro hac vice appearance applications for the United States Bankruptcy Court in accordance with the procedures on this page.
As provided in Bankruptcy Local Rule 1001-2(a) and Civil Local Rule 11-3 (.pdf), an attorney who is not a member of the Bar of the Northern District of California, but who is an active member in good standing of the bar of another United States court or of the highest court of another state or the District of Columbia, may appear in an action in this district after he or she has been admitted to practice pro hac vice.
Pro Hac Vice Appearance Procedures — Bankruptcy Court
- Complete the Bankruptcy Application for Admission of Attorney Pro Hac Vice (.pdf) . Your signature will be deemed an oath that you have complied with each of the admission requirements delineated on the form and that you will abide by the conditions of admission described in Civil Local Rule 11-3 (.pdf). Complete all portions of the Bankruptcy Proposed Order Granting Application for Admission of Attorney Pro Hac Vice (.pdf). Below the signature line, type in the name of the judge assigned to the case. Do not include the date.
- Mail or deliver to the Clerk's Office an original and two copies of each form, along with a stamped, self-addressed return envelope AND a second envelope addressed to the Office of the Clerk of the Bankruptcy Court (www.canb.uscourts.gov) in which the case is pending.
- With the application, include a filing fee (.pdf). Checks should be made payable to “Clerk, U.S. District Court.”
- After receiving your check, the Clerk's Office will forward your papers and a receipt of payment to the Bankruptcy Court Clerk, who will transmit the documents for the consideration of the assigned bankruptcy judge.
- If approved, a conformed copy of the signed order and your receipt will be mailed to you. You are responsible for serving a copy of the order upon all other parties to the action.
- If your application is rejected, you will be notified by the Bankruptcy Court Clerk. Your admission fee will be refunded upon written request to the Clerk of the District Court.
- Following admission, all papers submitted for filing shall indicate appearance pro hac vice, immediately following the identifying information required by Civil Local Rule 3-4 and Bankruptcy Local Rule 1001-2(a).
- Counsel are advised to obtain a copy of the Bankruptcy Local Rules and Civil Local Rules (.pdf) of the Northern District of California (also available without charge in hard copy from the Clerk's Office).